Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 19, 2020

The Legacy of Light

Hello everyone and welcome to The Realm's brand new article...which was split into two separate articles as to avoid confusion or being more long winded than usual. This article will cover a specific time in Artz's life that occurs before the First Captain was even born...a long time at that. The irony is that I had to do yet another article to explain the significance of a later event.

WARNING: There are major spoilers for Book 2 and for the Star Child! You have been warned!

Anyways...this particular time period is a bit mysterious because no one actually knows just how far back Artz travelled in time and by travel, I mean shot at the speed of transwarp and breaking the very laws of time, space, and matter. They simply know what occurred with Kali then there is a giant blank spot and then it starts with the mother of all random encounters.


Now don't laugh but...she encounters beings from another world...no not little green men or gray ones with big heads or something that looked like it crawled out of the Aliens vs Predators movie and most definitely not Time Lords. They were from a planet whose name could not be pronounced in human tongue and much of their language, both written and oral, were too advanced for such a primitive species to understand.

'I'm making an effort to not be insulted.'

Imagine their surprise when they heard her speak in the ancient language of the Great Observers, more commonly referred to as High Gallifreyan...this was before it became Old High Gallifreyan. She just sort of blinked when they spoke to her in the same language...cue fan girl moment on steroids...once again shocking them with her reaction. She actually laughed and told them the story of The Doctor, a member of the species whose language they were currently speaking in.


As more and more time passed, these beings became extremely interested in the young avatar...so much so that they spoke in their native tongue. It shared a similar grammatical structure to the language of the Observers and she surprised them yet again.

'Draconis! That's the language of the Draconians!'

She rushed through a rather long winded explanation and how that language tied in to an ancient myth from her time, one of the variations of the myth found within the story called The Vision of Escaflowne. This story referred to the denizens of Atlantis as Draconians, beings transcending to such great heights that they were granted wings with pure white feathers and she further explained about a machine that channeled thoughts and emotions, the Engine of Creation, and that it was this very device that led to the destruction of the ancient civilization.


Little did she know just how close that story mirrored their own and it was several years later that they finally told her their story, how their arrogance and foolishness caused the premature destruction of their planet. She smiled at them, tears slipping down her face and her eyes filled with kindness and compassion.

'Then I will simply have to build you a new one, but it's only temporary. Why... because I'm going to do the impossible and give back what you have lost. It may not be like the one you once knew and loved, but I give you my word...Draconis will rise again.'

Many of their number scoffed at such idealistic nonsense, but there were some that could sense that the girl before them was anything but ordinary. The brightest among them chose to give the odd girl a chance and started teaching her a great many things. The more she learned, the more impossible she became to them. They had traversed the earth and met many other humans, all of them running away in fear before they could even speak a word...which begged the question...why?

Why did this single human accept them so readily, treating them not as equals but as kin? She embraced them, all of them, even the rather cynical pessimistic elders that still remembered the fall of their world. In fact, she outright sassed them and challenged them until one day the elders had had enough, stating quite firmly that she knew nothing of their pain, their sorrow, the loss of their home and kin...

'That's not entirely accurate. I'm not just from a different time, but from another world, one parallel to this one. You say that I don't know about pain or sorrow or loss, but the truth is...it's the opposite.

Look around you, there are so many of your fellow kind here. You are not alone, but I am. You say that you are the last of your kind, but in reality, that statement applies to me and me alone. You will not interrupt me because you need to hear what i have to say.

I have told you the story of the Doctor and up until a certain event, he was merely a work of fiction, but then effect preceded cause. My reality moved faster in time than his and so my world fell victim to the whims of madman. The creator of his own species and the true antithesis to the Doctor... Davros. He created a terrible machine, one far more devastating than the Engine of Creation could ever be. It did not effect the world in which he resided in, but instead it affected the infinite number of parallel universes.


This device was called The Reality Bomb, and yes, it is the one I spoke of before...the machine capable of cancelling out the bonds between atoms, the very fabric of the space/time continuum unraveling. I can see it in your eyes, feel it radiating from your minds and the answer is yes. My world, it's gone...before its time.

I discovered a series of anomalies while watching the stars, entire systems and nebulas, whole galaxies were simply disappearing. I watched as one of the most powerful singularities completely vanished, all gravitational forces ceasing to exist. Within days of my discovery, it was validated by others that had witnessed similar events.


The humans of my world, for the most part...were idiots. They were stubborn, terrified of the unknown, resistant to change, and flat out ignored anything that would negatively affect them on such a massive scale. Even my own parents, my grandmother and uncles...none of them believed me. I was turned away and tossed aside but I wasn't alone. My elder brother... he didn't need proof, he simply believed. My two best friends...my truest believer, Yuna, and my beloved Silverfrost...they were by my side.

While the world kept turning, living in blissful ignorance, I made a choice. The Doctor that had defined the core of my being was real and he never gave up...so I didn't either. It took great effort and even greater courage to convince even the fewest of individuals, but with each new person joining our ranks...that number began to grow and then I found myself surrounded by the best and brightest minds of our entire species, all looking to me, the one that had brought them together, for guidance, for direction, for a purpose. It was in that moment that I finally understood what my brother and friends had been trying to drill into my thick skull for so many years.


Our world never needed the Doctor because it had something so much better...it had Artz, the Doctor he could never be. I asked them not to believe in the future, but to believe in me. That I would carry the light that would shine like a beacon of hope and bring about a miracle to save us all. They rallied around me, placed their faith in me...and we did it...we found a way, but it was too late. The machine was powering up to take us to a parallel universe, so i told everyone to get their families and friends and tell everyone to come to the place where the bridge would form.

My brother and my friends, they ran with me to retrieve the very family that had thrown me away. Hey...just because someone you care about hates you, doesn't mean that you should simply abandon them, leaving them at the mercy of fate. You don't abandon family, blood or bond...take care of your own especially when they hate you for it because it's within those times that need us most. 

We made it to where they were, all of our families...and we had to watch as they literally deatomized right in front of us. My brother pulled me away, just as Silverfrost pulled Yuna away. We ran but then got stuck in a crowd of panicked people. I was ripped away from my brother but was fortunately caught by my friends and pulled out of the chaos. I called out for my big brother and there he came...stumbling out of the crowd...and then he was gone, both him and all those people died at once. At this point, i had lost all sense of self-preservation. Had it not been for my friends, I would have just crumpled to the ground and waited for the end.

Please...allow me to finish. My friends and I continued to run but Yuna tripped. I went back for her, pulling her to her feet...only to realize that she was beginning to disappear right before my eyes. Silverfrost...he tried to pull me away but I couldn't leave her...not her, not my truest believer, the one person that never doubted me, always trusted me and believed that I could do the impossible...but then she let me go, tearing her hand away from mine to save me from sharing the same fate. My name was the last word she spoke.


I only had him then and he kept me running...even as the light from the sun began to diminish little by little, casting our world in shadows and fragments of light. He pushed up and over a fence and I turned around to help him, but like everyone before him...he was dying too.

"Run, run, you clever girl and remember me. Run!"

His final words so I ran and I kept on running until there was no place left to run to. So many people were screaming and then...silence. Everything became so quiet. When I fell to my knees, the sounds were so loud. I looked up at the sky and watched the sun being eaten away, silence fell and the darkness descended. I sang a song...his song...the song of my beloved Captain. Afterwards...I screamed...not in fear or despair or anguish...but in bloody frustration! 


I was literally watching the world come to an end yet I still had hope! I just couldn't give up and then he came...like a miracle... my Light in the Darkness and in his wake, my God of the Sea and my beloved Captain. All three of them had only been a story...my story...to cope with the insanity of that was the human race. Once again, effect preceded cause...because they had met me before and they loved me, they came to save me so that I could one day meet them.

I survived, only to watch them die before me...a group of self righteous, egotistical bastards that wanted to rule the world and turn me into a weapon were the cause. I endured so much and there are some years that I can't even remember because in order to live, I had to be reborn and with that new chance at life, I forgot who I had become, all those amazing and wonderful memories...I had to forget what it meant to truly love someone and to know how it felt to be loved in return...something I had yearned for so long.

The point I am trying to convey...is that unlike you, I am alone. I am truly the last of my kind, the sole survivor of an entire universe...I die and my world dies with me, but so long as I live, my world will too. It lives on through me and this is why memories need to be protected because not only are they precious, they are irreplaceable.'


The Star Child simply turned and walked away, silent tears streaming down her face, but her body was strong, her posture resolute, her face determined, and her eyes filled with loneliness and pain clashing with kindness and faith. This moment changed the course that the Draconians once held...for now, they had a new purpose. 

Before they had simply being looking for a peaceful place to live out their final days, most of them with less than five thousand human years left to live...but now...they wanted to live, to be remembered, they wanted to leave behind all their knowledge and science, all aspects of their culture and history...they wanted to have a legacy that would guide this world and many others, so that their mistakes could be avoided and create a brighter future.

The vessel chosen to house their legacy...the woman that shined with the light of her very own star. Once the young avatar had returned, her emotions once again under her control, the elders implemented their plan and Artz was practically drowned in new information. It had been quite difficult for her to assimilate the vast amounts of knowledge...in fact, she couldn't. 

There simply wasn't enough time for her to learn everything and they began to despair. Then one day, a woman bearing the mark of the boar upon her left hand, appeared before them with a message from the future. The Seeress of the Blood Guard had seen a significant disruption to her Ladyship's timeline and sent a message into the past to be delivered to the Draconians, specifically to the youngest among them...Solanna, the only Draconian that had been born since the destruction of their world.

Once her task was complete, the mysterious woman left and they knew what they had to do. Their desire to leave behind a legacy was now a necessity, one that had to be accomplished no matter the cost...for without it, the whole of history would be rewritten. The Draconians would never have come to the earth had it not been for the young avatar's soul calling out to them across the stars, guiding them to her. Without the legacy to light the way, the darkness that destroyed her world would come to this one and there would be nothing and no one to stop it.

The young Solanna revealed that to create an eternal light, one that could never be extinguished, the Star Child must reach her highest moment of accomplishment then plunged into the depths of ultimate despair. She must awaken the darkness that has slept within her soul for entire life and unleash it all at once. The Legacy of Light could only be born from the deepest depths of darkness; embracing both good and evil, kindness and cruelty, love and hatred, war and peace, life and death.


The balance had to be broken to create something entirely brand new...a family that would span the ages...the Blood Guard and the young avatar was to be its founder, the very heart and soul of this incredible yet benevolent source of immense power and might.

This family would right so many wrongs... causing a fair bit of chaos and accidental destruction along the way...they would do what was right instead of what was easy. The Light of their Legacy touching countless lives and they would be remembered. The young Solanna told them one final thing...from their ashes, Draconis is reborn...the young avatar keeps her word and their home is the first among many worlds that would rise again, more and more being needed because Artz kept bringing home strays. Solanna had been shown the place known as The Realm and it was wonderful; so much life and beauty, a true sanctuary. She begged her people to believe in the avatar as her own race once did because through them...she will fulfill her promise to the fallen of her world...she would save them all.

And so their course changed yet again, initially confusing the Star Child, but soon realized that they wanted her to build that temporary home she had promised them. It took several centuries and an insane amount of effort on her part, but Artz successfully created her very own city. She had modeled it after the Atlantis base in Stargate: Atlantis and that's what she called it, the city of Atlantis. The Draconians made themselves at home, but it didn't stop the elders from being stubbornly picky and she just shakes her head in a fond exasperation.


Solanna noticed how lonely the young avatar was, despite the fact she spent a great deal of time the young Draconian. She finally made the suggestion that they bring other humans to the city which initially made Artz panic because she knew how her kind reacted to what they did not know, lashing out as a result. The other Draconians agreed with the proposal and suggested that she, herself, bring them here. That way, she could approach them easily, gauge their trustworthiness, and tell them of about the alien race that inhabited the city.

Artz knew that she was far too trusting and commonly believed in people which by all rights, she should run away screaming from...but she did as they asked and over the next few decades, the city began to fill with more and more people. There was a fair bit of chaos, misunderstandings, fear, and one massive headache for the Star Child. She spent the next three hundred years smoothing things over between the two races, and she was proud of what she had accomplished. She had finally created her own sanctuary, the one thing she had wanted to create from the very beginning...a place where everyone had a home and a family to love them. She had never risen higher and she doubted that even her beloved Blood Guard would ever surpass this quite frankly impossible miracle.


Artz: *solemnly* Just as the Doctor had taken over Demon's Run without a single drop of blood spilled, having risen higher than ever before...so did I.

The next article takes on a very different tone and sadly, depicts the darker side of human nature and just how deep a person can be hurt...which will lead into the First Captain's profile. *sighs* Now to go find some images for this thing. *walks away*

1 comment: